The Beauty of Integration
Throughout the 34 years of my professional career, I have been a fan of integration. The integrated design process brings the owner, design professionals, stakeholders and contractors around the table early on to ascertain project goals, create sophisticated solutions and execute the construction in a collaborative and fluid manner. People talking to each other…listening and synergizing…LEED Platinum…the magic happens when the entire team is present and actively committed to the best outcome possible.
The turnkey integration of design and procurement has always been a Cornerstone tenet. Now, with the launch of The Cornerstone Collective, we are on a journey to disrupt the traditional model and mindset of design – bid – build. In my experience, getting to the finish line more quickly, and with a better product, is typically a desired outcome. Then why are so many willing to settle for less than this attainable goal?
TCC is committed to solving the gaps, inconsistencies, misinformation and segmented efforts that currently exist in modular / offsite through our integration solution. Our dozens of relationships with modular factories, architects and engineers provide the proper A-team for our clients’ projects. And we are experts in the overall process.
I’m convinced it’s because people are comfortable with the familiar. Why would we want to do things any differently? Why would we want to push the envelope or create a new model? Isn’t it safer to just stay in our lanes? I emphatically declare that we are better than this! In one of the many books I’m reading, I learned that Olympic athletes use 3% of their natural abilities, while the rest of us typically use only 1%. That leaves 99% on the table! Let’s step into the river of change to a better world of development, design and construction. According to Marshall Goldsmith, “what got us here, won’t get us there”. I’m not sure about you, but this inspires me.
After the 2020 that we all just experienced, it’s time for us to put our best selves and best efforts forward in an integrated manner, creating and experiencing what’s possible when we think big and work collaboratively. And always remember – collectively we’re stronger.
(The Queen of Integration)